Caught Between Worlds
Armor of the Infinite Steel Spiders
Self-regenerating ablative armor
Tier One Prototyping: Armor of Infinite Steel Spiders
Transition: the pillbox suddenly explodes into a gushing torrent of tiny steel spiders, which swarm over the bearer, linking up to form the armor which appears to occasionally shift in subtle but disturbing ways.
Item Basics: The basic form of the armor is that of a masterwork Steelsilk shirt. This grants the wearer DR 1/Adamantine. The armor takes up the armor slot, surprisingly. It has no armor check penalty or max dex modifier.
Secondary Power: Energy Resistance. The armor provides Resistance 5 for all energy types. However, the damage Resisted by the armor damages the spiders, as seen below.
Primary Power: Ablative armor. The spiders that make up the armor shift instinctively to protect the wearer, sacrificing themselves in order to blunt the damage received by the target.
- As the spiders take damage and are destroyed, the protections that they provide diminish. At full capacity, the armor has 50 points worth of spider (each 1 is approximately 100 spiders). As the bearer takes damage, the spiders take the full effect and as their number is reduced, so is their effectiveness:
- Armor Bonus: +4, DR 3/Adamantine: 50-41 points.
- Armor Bonus +3, DR 2/Adamantine: 40-31 points.
- Armor Bonus +3, DR 1/Adamantine: 30-21 points.
- Armor Bonus +2, DR 1/Adamantine: 20-11 points.
- Armor Bonus +1, DR 1/Adamantine: 10-1 point.
- Spiders recover at the rate of 1 every 10 minutes while the Armor is active. If the armor is returned to Pillbox form for 6 hours, it will fully recover.
- In addition, the wearer can “feed” metal objects to the armor to recover spiders. This takes 2 minutes for a normal weapon and 5 minutes for normal armor. Weapons will restore 3-10 spiders (depending on their size and metal content), armor will restore 5-15 spiders, depending on its size and metal content. If the spiders consume a magic object, then they will add the bonuses for as long as the points received from the object remain in the armor. They are first ones destroyed.
Artifact Kernel: Metal Pillbox
Powers: The Metal Pillbox will produce 3 pills in a 24 hour period. The user can take these pills and then mentally sub vocalize a question. The pill’s flavor will change depending on the answer to the question:
- Sweet – positive outcome. Good result. Yes.
- Bitter – Negative outcome. Bad result. No
- Savory – Mixed outcome. Good and bad results. Perhaps.
- Sour – No clear outcome. Poorly phrased or impossibly phrased question. Try again.
Minor effects: The pills can be taken out of the pillbox, but the box will only regenerate pills if they are consumed. There can never be more than 3 pills at any time. The box seems damage resistant, as do the pills.