Caught Between Worlds
On The Nature of Powers
There are a fair number of Powers in existence. A Power is a supernatural entity which is born from and tied to the building blocks of the world. They range in might from entities whose reach extends across Creation, to minor spirits of a particular place. The great ones could easily be called gods, but there’s a fair amount of smaller ones.
They are aligned along three basic camps:
They have different organization:
- The Powers of the Light have the Celestial Senate
- The Powers of the Dark are engaged in the Great Game
- The Old Powers meet rarely in Grand Conclaves
The Powers have six main characteristics:
- They have two names: a True Name and a Title. Titles are very important to all Powers and their complex social system.
- Powers have a Rank and Affiliation to one of the three main camps.
- They have anywhere from one to five Attributes, the building blocks of the world which the Power has some level of dominion over..
- They have a Goal, which is what drives them. This can change, but usually only when it is achieved. As entities of motivation and belief, Powers rarely abandon a Goal.
- They have a Manifestation, which is their appearance in the physical world.
- They have a Bane, which is a substances, item, concept, etc. which is anathema to them. The more common it is, the less its effect. The more rare it is, the greater the effect.
The Powers also have a number of characteristics which reflect how they deal with the mortal creatures that populate the world.
- They cultivate a style of Devotion.
- When they encounter a magical Sensitive, they can touch their souls, aligning the sensitive to their essence and creating one of the Power Touched.
- They have a Tell, which is a mark of some kind common to all the Power-Touched of the same Power.
- They have a Boon which they can bestow upon those that please them.
- They have an Invocation, which anyone with the proper training and ability can use. .
- They can create a Sanctuary, a sanctum or bubble out in the Etheric Void, that serves as a base, refuge, and place of power.
The Great Record is a compendium of all Powers known to date.